Important Considerations For a Family Member with a Permanent Disability
- Do you have a written plan to let others know your wishes for your child's future?
- Have you discussed your plan with relatives and friends?
- Have you appointed an advocate or guardian for your child?
- Have you reviewed your plan in the last year? If not, when?
- Do you understand all of the government benefit programs that are available for basic care, supervision, and income support?
- Have you set aside additional funds, so your child will have a comfortable lifestyle? If so, what amount? How is it funded?
- Do you and your spouse have current wills? Do they include - or exclude your child with a disability? Why?
- Does the primary or secondary beneficiary in your pensions, life insurance, or investments include your child with a disability? Why?
- Do you know how your answers to 6, 7 and 8 above will affect your child's Provincial pension entitlement?
- Do you have a Discretionary Trust to manage current and future assets and income requirements for your child? Who will be the Trustee?
- Have you prepared written instructions for your child's final arrangements?
- Do you feel you have done everything possible for the child's future? What else would you like to do?